Now expatriates from Maldives can send remittance to Bangladesh instantly
Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC Bangladesh, Commercial Bank of Maldives and bKash tie up together & facilitate remittance through legal channel
- Dhaka, December 11, 2022: Bangladeshi expatriates in Maldives will now be able to send remittances back home from Commercial Bank of Maldives to bKash account instantly. To facilitate this convenience, Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC, Bangladesh, Commercial Bank of Maldives and bKash have signed an agreement. This service will further widen the opportunity of instant remittance transfer through secured and legal
- With the launching of “Bangla eRemit” platform, the service has been inaugurated on Sunday, December 11, 2022 at the head office of Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC, Bangladesh. Mr. Abdur Rouf Talukder, Honorable Governor of Bangladesh Bank inaugurated the „Bangla eRemit‟ platform virtually. The Honorable High Commissioner for Bangladesh in Maldives, H.E. Rear Admiral S M Abul Kalam Azad and the Honorable High Commissioner for Maldives in Bangladesh, H. E. Shiruzimath Sameer were also present virtually at the event to grace the occasion.
- Among others, Sanath Manatunge, Group Managing Director of Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC; Dilan Rajapakse, Managing Director of Commercial Bank of Maldives; Najith Meewanage, Chief Executive Officer of Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC, Bangladesh; Kamal Quadir, Chief Executive Officer of bKash Limited and other high officials of the organizations were present at the event.
- In his statement, Mr. Abdur Rouf Talukder, Governor of Bangladesh Bank, highlighted the last visit of Honorable Prime Minister in Maldives and her concern about sending remittance legally to Bangladesh from Maldives. He said, “Through this partnership, migrants will now be able to easily send money to their loved ones back home. I am delighted that in a very short time, this instant remittance transfer facilitation through „Bangla eRemit‟ for the expatriates in Maldives has been created. bKash, with its largest distribution network in Bangladesh, is connecting millions. I believe, this kind of collaboration will boost the industry at large. Bangladesh Bank will be vigilant to ensure proper use of legal channel.”
- Rear Admiral S M Abul Kalam Azad, High Commissioner for Bangladesh in Maldives, said, “We have been working to create easy ways for our remittance earners so that they send their money without losing valuable time to their relatives. I am sure that this facility will encourage our remittance warriors to come under the legal banking channel.”
- Shiruzimath Sameer, High Commissioner for Maldives in Bangladesh, said, “This is a significant development for both the countries. This arrangement is a very good initiative from the Bangladesh government as well as the banks and bKash; because it will ease the remitting process for the workers.”
- A significant number of Bangladeshis of various occupations living in Maldives are regularly sending remittances back home and contributing to both economies. With this collaboration of Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC, Commercial Bank of Maldives and bKash, the inbound remittance inflow is expected to get a momentum.
- Currently, expatriates from more than 90 countries are availing the opportunity to send remittance securely to around 65 million bKash accounts through 13 commercial banks of the country via 80 money transfer organizations (MTO).
- Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC Bangladesh is a distinguished foreign bank currently operating in retail and Corporate banking on-boarding majority of the Embassies of country. The bank earned “AAA” for the 12th consecutive year based on Financial Statements of 2021 by Credit Rating Information and Services Ltd. (CRISL) rated CBC Bangladesh. Besides many appreciations and accolades, the Bank was also rated as the Best Foreign Bank in Bangladesh by the Global Economics Limited Magazine- UK, World Economic Magazine -UK, the Most Sustainable Bank in Bangladesh by International Business Magazine – UAE, Best Corporate Bank Bangladesh by Global Business Review Magazine – UAE and Most Recommended Foreign Bank in Bangladesh by World Business Outlook – Singapore.